At the Society of American Florists’ (SAF) 129th annual convention, held in Chandler (Phoenix), Ariz., Sept. 18-21, the organization recognized a number of our industry’s brightest stars with its annual awards and inductions.
• Floriculture Hall of Fame
The floral industry’s greatest honor was bestowed on Anna Ball, CEO and owner of Ball Horticultural Company in West Chicago, Ill.
• Alex Laurie Award Virginia R. Walter, from California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, Calif., was honored for her contributions to floriculture research and education.
• John H. Walker Award Russ Barley, AIFD, AAF, FSMD, the executive secretary of the Florida State Florists’ Association (FSFA), received the John H. Walker Award in recognition of his contributions to the floral industry as an association executive.
• Tommy Bright Award
Recognizing lifetime achievement in floral presentation and education, this award was presented to Jerome Raska, AIFD, AAF, PFCI, CAFA, co-owner of Blumz by … JRDesigns in Ferndale and Detroit, Mich.
• Century Award
Two family-owned businesses — Klein’s Floral and Greenhouses in Madison, Wis., and Myers Flower Shop in Branford, Conn. — received SAF’s 2013 Century Award. The award is presented to companies that have been in business for 100 years or more.
• Sylvia Cup Joyce Mason-Monheim, AIFD, PFCI, AzMF, Tucson, Ariz., won the grand prize in the 46th Annual Sylvia Cup Design Competition. The next two highest-scoring designers, Jacob McCall, AIFD, The Elite Flower, Doral, Fla., and BJ Dyer, AIFD, AAF, CPF, Bouquets, Denver, Colo, received honorable mention awards.
• American Academy of Floriculture (AAF)
SAF’s American Academy of Floriculture inducted seven new members for 2013. They are:
Bradley Beck, AAF Design Master color tool, inc.